Spokane Film Project is launching a fiscal sponsorship program that will enable filmmakers to seek grants and tax deductible donations to support filmmaking in our region.
Fiscal sponsorship is an arrangement between Spokane Film Project (an existing 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization) and a filmmaker (individual or an entity) who does not possess the legal status needed to receive grants from foundations, individual donors and government agencies.
As a fiscal sponsor Spokane Film Project provides certain administrative services and oversight to the project depending on what is needed from the filmmaker and what is required by the funding agencies. Spokane Film Project collects an administrative fee from contributions made to selected projects. This fee ranges from 3-5% depending on the project.
The benefit to participating in fiscal sponsorship is that individuals are able to access charitable funding for their project without having to take on the time consuming and expensive process of creating and running a 501(c)(3) organization themselves.
- Apply for grants and solicit tax deductible donations without becoming a 501(c)(3)
- Access to Spokane Film Project’s Industry Education Resources
- Receive a project consultation from SFP members with years of collective experience in the film industry
- Sustained promotional support throughout the lifecycle of your project, including newsletter and blog features and social media mentions
- Offer your donors a variety of ways to give to your project by check, online, credit card, crowdfunding campaigns and even matching gifts from employers
- Promote your project via your individualized online donation page on the SFP website
- Offer a tax incentive to your crowdfunding campaign donors
- Apply to specialized state and federal government grants like the National Endowment of the Humanities
Who Can Apply?
Spokane Film Project is looking for unique projects from talented filmmakers ranging from first-time filmmakers to those more firmly established in the film community.
You must be a current Spokane Film Project member to apply for fiscal sponsorship. The program is open to independent narrative and documentary projects of any length and at any stage of development. Applications can also be accepted for other types of projects including interactive media, podcasts, and film festivals.
Applicants must submit the following materials online prior to presenting to the board for consideration:
- Project Description (logline, story summary/synopsis, topic summary, artistic approach, project stage and timeline)
- Audience and Distribution (distribution and marketing strategy, intended audience)
- Key Creative Personnel (bios for each creative team member, list of attached advisors or consultants)
- Fundraising Strategy (overall fundraising strategy, funding to date)
- Work Sample (director’s prior work or current work sample)
- A non-refundable application fee of $45*
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Our ultimate goal is to work with you to get your film funded, finished and seen. Your written proposal and budget should show us how you plan to make that happen.
At this time Spokane Film Project can only support 2 projects per year on a first come basis. All applications are first reviewed by the Fiscal Sponsorship Committee using the selection criteria listed below.
Selection criteria include:
- The project’s viability (both financial and artistic)
- Collective expertise of project members and their ability to complete the project
- Overall budget and fundraising strategy
- Overall Proposal presentation
Projects that are recommended for approval by the fiscal sponsorship committee are moved forward for a full board of directors for consideration.
If your project is moved forward to the board of directors you will be asked to make a formal presentation at a monthly board meeting prior to a final vote.
Once a project receives board approval contracts will be generated by the Fiscal Sponsorship Committee and a project supervisor will be assigned to you.
The entire approval process can take 45-60 days.
For more information, please contact the Fiscal Sponsorship department at: